Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Power of Fear

I have just one simple thought to share today, but it's the foundation of much good writing.

When you are afraid to finish a piece, that's the best time to keep writing.  If it frightens you, this story or poem or essay you're crafting, then it's worth finishing.  I don't mean it frightens you in a ghost story, horror film sense.  I mean that some significant truth is at stake for you in the writing.  I mean that as you write it, your palms sweat or your gut aches or your scalp prickles.  I mean that you've taken a leap off something very high, although you know not what--nor do you have any idea where or how you will land. Whether it ends up being a graceful plunge into the ocean, like you're a seasoned cliff diver, or an awkward cannonball off the high dive into the deep end that soaks every onlooker, you will have taken the leap.  And you can leap again.  And again. Nothing will stop you after that first leap, because that one is the hardest.

Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "Do one thing every day that scares you." Yes.  Do it.  Write it.

5 comments:

Anyes said...

I am doing NaNoWriMo for the first time and fear has been my companion from day one, thank you for posting this today Gigi :-)

Gigi Thibodeau said...

Yay for you!!!! NaNoWriMo is one of the things I had in mind as I posted this. My own fears about the project I'm working on are very much a part of this post, too. Every day I am writing through the fear. Diving straight into the heart of it, and so glad that I am.

Best of luck with the novel, Anyes!

Acné Traitement said...

Hi Thanks A lot about Your Articles ... very Nice
No Pain Today Blog
French Health Articles

McKenna said...

So, so true. The problem isn't doing something I'm scared of each day, it's chosing which of the numerous scary stuff to do first! LOL

Kidney Stones Treatment India said...

Just desire to say your article is as amazing. The clarity in your post isj ust excellent and i could assume you’re an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.