Sunday, May 29, 2011

Anything, Anything (Plus a Freewrite)


Looking back, I imagine I was always writing.  
Twaddle it was too.  
But better write twaddle or anything, anything, 
than nothing at all.

~Katherine Mansfield


My friends, for the first time since I started the series, I missed Freewrite Friday this week!  Life caught me off guard and carried me off to other tasks.  I apologize.  

I have many writing deadlines to meet, so I can't be as regular with posts as I'd like to be at present, 
but I will keep offering exercises and tips as much as I can this summer.  

I'm also thinking of offering an online writing course at the end of summer.  Is this something you would be interested in?  If so, send me an email or leave a comment here.  Let me know, too, what kind of work you are focusing on (or would like to focus on) right now: poetry, fiction, memoir, etc.  

In the meantime, I hope you are writing--anything, anything.  I hope you are feeling inspired, but that even when you're not, you are writing still . . . and all the more.  

And, since I offered no freewrite on Friday, I will give you now a quick exercise I've used when I am feeling stuck.  Copy out a favorite recipe in your writing notebook.  It should be one you have made countless times or one someone you love has often made for you.  As soon as you finish writing down the recipe, don't pause.  Keep writing.  Write about making it or eating it or a memory you associate with it or the person whom you watched making it.  Engage all your senses in the process of writing this exercise.  It's a magical one.  I hope you'll give it a try.

5 comments:

Kamana said...

i would be interested in an online writing course by you, of course! somethign poetry/fiction related would lovely.

a gracious plenty said...

i love the idea of an online course offered through you. i am working on draft #78,000 of a novel. something specific in regards to novel writing, like maybe focusing on voice or theme, would be interesting and helpful. i've also been wanting to take a short story class online, kind of the basics to remind me what i've forgotten.
i have recently found your blog and am enjoying it. i like your writing style.
katie

Gigi said...

Thanks for your comment, Kamana! I'm so glad to hear it!

Oh, Katie, I so hear you about the revision process! I have a novel and a children's chapter book both in the final revision stages, and I feel a little like I'm losing my mind! :D I'm thinking a short fiction course would be pretty wonderful, too. I'll keep you posted!

etre-soi said...

that would be a great idea to have an online class: poetry and memoir are what I write. Would love to hear about these :)
That exercise really speaks to me, have to try it soon.

Jillayne said...

I would love a writing course online and in the Fall would be perfect.
I have been writing about observations made while on a five week journey in France. Inspiration and content galore and I hit my stride right away - it was an eye-opening writing experience.